Thursday, September 24, 2009

Lonely boy.

I had one of those weird parent moments last night, the moments you can only have as a parent. We had gone to dinner after O's acting class, and both boys wanted to ride home with J. This is usually a joyous occasion, because it means a peaceful ride home without yelling and screaming, and I don't have to hear the kids either. It also affords me the chance to listen to my music very loudly, something I enjoy greatly. I used to do that daily on a nice 35 minute commute to Park City. People often dislike long commutes, but other than a few snow days, it was a great ride. It was peaceful and scenic, and complete with high speeds and loud rock and roll. Last night should have been a flashback to this, it wasn't. Even though the music was turned up, it seemed very quiet. A flash of melancholy came over me, I was sad, I missed my boys. It didn't upset me that they had chosen to ride with J, I was just missing a little piece of me. It's just one of those things that comes with having kids, they become part of everything that you are. That said, about halfway through the ride, I got over myself and rocked on!

No comments:

Post a Comment