Monday, November 16, 2009

What my child thinks of me.


Last week at school my first grader O had an assignment to write about his dad. Not sure what kids without a dad or with two mommies had to write about, but I digress. It was an interesting look to see what he really thinks of me, so without further ado, here it is exactly.


My Dad, by O


My dad is fun and good at games. My dad is not hard working and I am still faster than him. My dad is funny and nice and likes me and Q. He is the best dad ever. The End.



Overall a lot of positives, especially that last part about being the best dad ever. It warms my heart, but there are questions left unanswered. 1. Why do I only like him and his brother? 2. Does he really think he is faster than me? 3. What have I done, or rather not done, to give the impression that I am not hard working? I asked him these questions, and here are his responses:


"uuugghhh, I'm not talking to someone with coffee breath", once he's across the room,


1. "because like is better than love."

2. "Lets go have a race outside right now!", Q agrees and thinks he is faster too.

3. "because you aren't a hard worker", why? "because Q tales a lot of naps".


I think I got some answers there, like is better than love, and my sons have delusional confidence about their speed. I'm going to have to rethink this whole letting them win races sometimes, I thought I had made it abundantly clear in the past that I could be faster than them anytime I wanted. Still not quite clear about the hard work. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not disagreeing with him, I just would like to know where his impression comes from. I do know he thinks I spend altogether too much time at the computer, since he has asked me why I love it so much. It also could be a comparison to his mother, not just because she physically goes to work, but because there is no comparison there. J is a tireless worker at all times and puts pretty much everyone to shame in that regard. I couldn't dream of working as hard as she does. Maybe O is just trying to tell me to get a job so he doesn't have to look at me so much. Or maybe I just have to face the ugly truth that my child is right and I am not hard working. I might have to call my old work for their opinion, but I've always thought I worked hard to get the work done I needed to. The difference lied in what I thought needed to get done and the timeline I used for getting it done compared to others (mainly my wife). I've always procrastinated, but I feel I've done excellent work under those conditions. I guess I have some things to work on before O has to write another one of these papers, but I'll do that later. I need to think about my actions more too, and what impressions I'm making on my son. I can't wait to see how My Mom by O turns out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment