Thursday, November 12, 2009

Day one- Going on a trip to Disneyland.


We took a family trip to Disneyland last week, and I kept some notes about the trip to blog about. I'll split it into a couple of posts.




Anticipation is a big part of going on a trip. I have a friend who goes into what I like to call "vacation mode", at least a week before any trip. He just shuts down, and all he can think or talk about is his upcoming trip. (Dave I am talking about you here). Apparently with O anticipation=anxiety. The night before the trip he did not sleep well out of excitement. All morning he was worried we would miss our plane. At the airport we had to walk at warp speed to our gate. I left J with the boys at the gate while I went to get us some lunch, big mistake. While I was gone our plane started boarding, and O freaked out. He started to yell and apparently make quite a scene, since J called me and told me to hurry. J could not get him to calm down, he was worried the plane would leave without us. I got back and he was still in his heightened state of anxiety. I pulled him close to me and tried to mellow him, but instead he yells out "Stop! Get him away from me! Let's go!". You would have thought I was trying to abduct him. So we did the only thing we could to console him, got on the plane. He settled for a second, but then comes the worry over takeoff. He's flown many times before and been fine, but now suddenly he's worried, sometimes I don't get the kid. Once we were airborne, he was cool as a cucumber, like nothing had happened. Once again my Jekyll and Hyde son. Next we'll see how he handles the cab ride to the hotel, and the big test, if his anxiety will let him go on the rides he wants to at Disneyland.

No comments:

Post a Comment