Thursday, October 22, 2009

A deep dark roasted secret

I've been keeping a secret from my wife, and this blog is going to be how she finds out about it. I am not proud of that, so my love, I'm sorry this is how you found out. Like most things, it started out innocently enough, once or twice a week. It was so easy, it came naturally, and it felt so good. I wanted that feeling more and more. I had tried before, but it was only on the rare occasion, and it never became a habit. I think it might be here to stay now. I'd like to blame my boys, or my mom, but really I am the one who has done this to myself. I'm an adult, responsible for all my actions, so I did it too myself and now must face the music.


I have been drinking coffee.

There I said it, it's out there, I'm sorry I didn't tell you J.

O's sleeping habits have been killing me, and some java in the morning makes me feel sooo much better. It's kind of weird, because I've never been one to drink much coffee, just on the rare occasion. I didn't want to have to rely on it, so even in college I didn't drink it. I did down my share of coca cola back then, but as I grew older and wider around the middle I knew I had to give up either that or beer. Beer won. I'm sure my wife is wondering how this could happen, we've never even had a coffee maker in our house. It started with a cup at the Starbucks in Target after a particularly rough night with O. After that it was a cup on Tuesday and Thursday at my mom's when I would go for a walk with her and my sister after dropping the boys off at school. Now it has expanded to stops on the way home from dropping O off at school. It's gotten to the point where I shopped the coffeemakers at Costco the other day. I'm even starting to get picky. No more Starbucks, not for some corporate boycott, but because I don't really like their coffee, McDonald's coffee is actually better. I am sticking to straight coffee too, no lattes or frappucino's, I don't need the calories. I can even rationalize that I am doing this for my health, because there has been research showing the benefits of a cup a day. I might have to start drinking more red wine for my health too.

My next step will be picking out the proper machine. Having worked in a kitchen store for years, I know I have many options. I also was spoiled working there and drinking the coffee from the $1000 we had there. I won't be getting one of those. I am a bit out of the loop on machines and what's available, but I'm thinking about one of the single serve or pod machines. I'd consider a coffee press, but there is much too much work and mess with those. Anybody with recommendations or advice is welcome to weigh in. Help me to further my habit, that is thankfully no longer my dark roasted secret.

2 comments:

  1. We have a Keurig at work, you should stop by and try a cup...don't tell J I offered....

    ReplyDelete
  2. our friends have a hand press that makes french press, but it has a filter. when i get the name i'll let you know. it's very clean and simple, and a bit fun.

    ReplyDelete