Monday, March 15, 2010

Mid-life peanut butter crisis


The other day my wife asked me if I was going through a mid-life crisis. Did I go by a sports car? Start dying my hair? Try dating college age girls? No, I changed the kind of peanut butter we get. I guess it's not quite that simple. I've been exercising (which she's been trying to get me to do more for years) and trying to eat better and buy healthy food (kind of driving the family a little crazy with that, i.e. quinoa instead of rice recently). I also haven't cut my hair in 3-4 months, but nothing that would constitute a crisis. Really what this change stems from is a book I've been reading, The Omnivore's Dilemma. It's a fascinating look at what and how we eat, and where that food comes from. It's not like I've suddenly turned vegan (not that there is anything wrong with that), but I'm trying to be more aware of what kind of food I buy, where it comes from and how it is grown. I even just purchased a half share in a CSA (community supported agriculture) for the summer and fall, so that we get fresh locally grown produce. My wife will tell you I have become a little obsessed about the book. For me, I just find it so interesting, that I want to talk about it, with any body and everybody, anytime they will listen. For instance, I knew the U.S. grew a lot of corn and that it was subsidized by the government to a great degree, but to get the history of the corn and how it came to be such a huge part of everything, was eye opening. I also never knew cows were not supposed to be eating corn, that their stomachs can't process it and that's a large part of why they need so many antibiotics. It shouldn't have surprised me, but I never realized how industrial "organic" growing had become. I don't want to blather on and get preachy, people can eat however they want, I just want to try and make good decisions for not only my families health, but for the better health of the earth too. Right now that means peanut butter made from peanuts (and maybe some salt), with nothing hydrogenated in it. Hopefully the boys and J can live with some of the changes to our diet (they aren't fond of the new peanut butter), and be healthier for it in the end. As far as the hair goes, not sure why I haven't cut it, that may be a sign for the mid-life crisis. Maybe I should start wearing my earring again, or get a tattoo that says organic in Chinese letters. In the meantime, I highly recommend The Omnivore's Dilemma, thanks to all that told me about it.

3 comments:

  1. now you need to watch Food, Inc. It is in an online stream-able format if you have a netflix account.
    http://www.foodincmovie.com/

    and hell, while I am at it, I'll push Thich Nhat Hanh's new book Savor
    http://www.amazon.com/Savor-Mindful-Eating-Life/dp/0061697699

    the food change makes a difference. ryan and i have been shifting our diet for about two years. you appreciate the flavors of food so much more, and, yes, you feel a little snobbish...but it is worth the ultimate payoff. better food for you-better life for the world :)
    I am proud of you-keep up the changes!!!! They'll get used to the new peanut butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. After you finish OD, try his next book too, In Defense of Food, it's a what to do after you read OD and are feeling a bit lost.

    Also, I would suggest watching cooking shows (I like Jaque Pepin's Fast Food My Way which I think you can stream on KQED (our local PBS)) to learn how to cook with all the new foods you'll be experiencing. Alice Waters (the godmother of the slow foods movement) has a good book about eating and cooking seasonally as well.

    good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We changed the peanut butter a while ago, but the rest is now following. I've been meaning to read The Omnivore's Dilemma for a while, as well as in In Defense of Food. Working in kitchens I realized how we don't know where our food comes from or how it's raised... it just appears.

    seriously watch Food Inc. It's amazing. We're also buying a share in a CSA and we hit the big farmer's market here in NYC every chance we get. It's important. It's what fuels us. It blows my mind when a fast food ad says their burger is "Oh, by the way, 100% beef!" What the hell else would it be? So... eat away! Let's go crunchy (have been growing my hair from full on crew cut since Sept... and the earing may return... You and I can be food pirates!)

    Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete