Friday, February 4, 2011

Sexism in the pre-school

I knew the day would come, but I thought I had another year. We just signed Q up for full day kindergarten for the fall, and now I am faced with what to do with myself when the boys are both in school all day. I thought he'd go half-day, but his teacher recommended full day, and now I've got a lot more time on my hands come August. I have put some thought into what to do, but not much. I've thought about doing some volunteering, but I'd have to find a good cause. I figured I would maybe join a gym, and finally get back into really good shape, but that wouldn't take up that much time. I figure I'll keep the house more clean, but that's easier with the boys at school not messing it up. I could catch up on all the movies I haven't watched (now that would be productive!), or become a soap opera/talk show fanatic, eating bonbons on the couch. I could blog more, of course with the boys in school all day there would be less to write about.
I could get a job, although not sure what I would/could do and it would have to fit into a specific schedule. I thought about possibly teaching pre-school at O and Q's school, I love little kids (and they love me), and it would work schedule wise. That idea intrigued me, so I asked the principal what that might entail. It would start with a resume and essay on my "view of America" to the corporate offices, then an interview and Wunderlich test. Easy enough, although the school owner and I don't see eye to eye politically, so I would have to word my essay carefully. From there, they would decide my qualities/qualifications and place me in the school and grade they determined (based also on where and what grade they need teachers in). I told her that wouldn't work because I only wanted to teach pre-school at that campus. What she said next has gnawed at me all day, she told me it was VERY unlikely I would get to teach pre-school because I am male, and they rarely have male pre-school teachers. She said that parents are more comfortable with female teachers, even through the early elementary years. I am offended by this, I wouldn't care if my child had a male teacher, but maybe I'm the exception. I am curious what other people think, are they really uncomfortable with a male teaching their young kids? Is the worry that a guy must be a pedophile because he wants to teach young children? It probably just goes back to sexist societal views, like the gym teacher is supposed to be a man, or women should should stay home birthing babies. As a stay at home dad, I thought we were getting past a lot of those bias's. It reminds me of when I worked retail, and a woman shopper would ask for one of the women to gift wrap, because I was a guy and wouldn't do it well. Sometimes I'd let it go, but mostly I would say "sure, but I'm the one who taught everyone else to wrap, and am better at it. But if you want, someone else can wrap for you". I don't like sexism, or being told what I can/can't do, but I guess the point is moot, since I don't want to go through the process if I can't teach at the campus and grade I want. It's okay, I probably don't fit their ideal in many ways, other than I would do a great job, I love kids, and kids love me, but I'm not what they're looking for.
I guess it's back to the drawing board for what to do, I'm willing to take suggestions and ideas if anyone has any. I'm sure to keep me from becoming a serial blogger, people will come up with lots of ideas. In the mean time, I'll imagine how little I can get accomplished with all that extra time alone this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment